Wait... First go to your sink and pour a glass of fresh clean water to drink... then come back and watch this short video.
Wait... First go to your sink and pour a glass of fresh clean water to drink... then come back and watch this short video.

African Empowerment Project is committed to implementing and nurturing community run development projects focused on creating opportunities for income generation, achieving access to quality education, and improving health and wellbeing, in order to empower the people of Africa to build a sustainable life for themselves and future generations.

How YOU can help!


Please visit our website at www.africanempowermentproject.org to learn more about who we are and how we are empowering the people in the village of Mnang'ole, Tanzania to pull themselves out of poverty.

You can make clean, accessible water and safe, healthy lighting a reality for the people of Mnang'ole by clicking below:
Your donation is tax deductable.
IRS EIN # 27-1519070

Monday, December 21, 2009

First week in Tanzania


So much to say... I don't know where to begin... so I will start with; I am safe and happy, here in Tanzania. Sorry for the posting delay... My computer is in the airport in Montreal. :( Long story, but Jim is working hard to try to get it to me... in the mean time I will be at the Internet, maybe once a week.
For now I am staying with a friend in Kigamboni, enjoying the mango trees in the front yard, the fresh fish of the Indian Ocean and amazing travels. I really do have so much to say but I will begin today with my most recent feeling of desperation and desire to make a change... I should say... I WILL make a difference in the remote village of Mnangole... an 8-hour bus ride from where I am staying now... and I will say, the bumpiest bus ride I have ever experienced... but it was worth every bruise.
It is a village of 900 all living in stick and red clay huts that they have built for themselves. These are some of the hardest working people I have ever met and yet have the least of any people I have ever encountered. There is no electricity or running water in this village... heck...running water ??? NO WATER at all... These women and children must get up in the early hours of the morning to trek 1.5 hours to the next village through hills and rocky terrain to gather water for drinking an cooking... water that is infested with baboon and turtle feces... and carry this water on their heads, for 2 more hours, back to their village before 7 in the morning so that they can feed their family and then head off an the next journey to the farm, an hour away, to cultivate and harvest vegetables. Then they often return to gather water again before the sun goes down at 6:30 pm. My journey to both of these destinations in one day wiped me out... and I did not carry the water, I did not have the baby on my back, I did not work the field in the farm. Just a leisurely walk to visit these places... for that matter... I didn't even carry my own backpack, my friend Bushman did that... and I was so ready to sleep at the end of that day.
Sooooooo, I'm sure you can see where this is headed... my first project WILL be to get these beautiful people the water they need and deserve as fellow human beings. There is so much more that this village is in need of... accessible health care... again they must walk 4 hours to the nearest hospital and if they need care the next day they must go home and return again the next day as there are no rooms for boarding at this hospital... children are lacking in education... the list goes on... but... Water... clean accessible water MUST come to this village. The other things will come in time.

So this is where I will leave you today. There is really so much more to say. I have been reflecting on many things during my first week here, but I will share those thoughts next time.
Tomorrow I will go to Bagamoyo to visit friends and do more research and continue to figure out my purpose for being here. I am excited about the prospect of helping the people of Mnang'ole and am confident that WE will make a change for these people.
I really am doing very well and look forward to hearing your comments, suggestions, and resources! Love to ALL of my friends and Family!

7 comments:

  1. Beth! I: can't tell you how relieved and happy I am to "hear" your voice! I'm glad to year you are safe, happy and beginning your mission work! At a time when we are all gift-giving and celebrating other traditions of Christmas in our country, it is all the more poignant to read your post. As you say, our "fellow human beings" deserve basic needs...water is certainly first on the list. Christmas happens for everyone and you have the spirit of Christmas - may you share it and may the world respond to this great need. Stay well - and know in your heart that I/we love and support you every day. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Marissa...not Mark...I don't know what happened to my profile...will work on it :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth! Glad to see that you finally posted. I'm glad you made it there safe and are having a good time so far. Happy Holidays and remember we are all here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Beth:
    Elisha just shared your blog with me. Wow - Mnangole sounds like a totally different world from Bagamoyo. I hope you are well and loving your journey.
    All the Best,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi Beth, Happy holidays. I am happy to read your blog.While others are paralyzed by fear of the unknown, you are keeping taking steps of faith and proving everyone that it's possible to pursuit your dreams, even in places that are consider to be "dangerous"lol. I think that people would love to see pictures of where you're staying,what your day looks like. I know you got skills in photography( just put the camera in P mode and start shooting.)I love you and be well. While you're enjoying the Sun, i am enjoying the Snow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bethe and the people of Nangole Village,
    I have read about your initiatives and sincerely have inspired and benefited me very much.

    I am a Tanzanian born in Kagera the former the West lake region, the district of Muleba, in Buganguzi division, Katare village, location of Kituntu.I am living and working in nambia as a Physiotherapist.

    Your publications, which I have just found while searching for companies and issues about rural water drilling in Tanzania inspired me 100%. It made me to learn that there are pople who can see more than others, the world is full of friends and resources which are beyond our recognition lastly but nto least is that self initiative either individual or group of caring people can make a difference to our life and to others as you did to people of Nangole.

    You true and real situation of Mnangole Village made me to rember my home village in Buganguzi who ever since have been and are still going through difficulties exactly the same as that of Namgole villageers. It is very unfortunate that no body had a light to advocate for the sons and doughters of Buganguzi. Advocacy to make a difference into our lives!.

    Find this long comment requesting you to be your development partner. Please tell me more obout your projects in Africa as I am dreaming during my life to open atape of water in my home village of Kitutu.

    my email address is bandihaivls@gmail.com Mobile especially for sms is +264812685252 Office contact during work hours +26465240425.

    Regards Bandihai VLS.

    ReplyDelete