Wait... First go to your sink and pour a glass of fresh clean water to drink... then come back and watch this short video.
Wait... First go to your sink and pour a glass of fresh clean water to drink... then come back and watch this short video.

African Empowerment Project is committed to implementing and nurturing community run development projects focused on creating opportunities for income generation, achieving access to quality education, and improving health and wellbeing, in order to empower the people of Africa to build a sustainable life for themselves and future generations.

How YOU can help!


Please visit our website at www.africanempowermentproject.org to learn more about who we are and how we are empowering the people in the village of Mnang'ole, Tanzania to pull themselves out of poverty.

You can make clean, accessible water and safe, healthy lighting a reality for the people of Mnang'ole by clicking below:
Your donation is tax deductable.
IRS EIN # 27-1519070

Monday, April 11, 2011

Oh the places you'll go and the people you'll meet ...


Today I am writing from Mtwara Tanzania ... 95k from my home base.. Mnang'ole. I was not able to blog from the bush, as the network I signed up with had no service. I have changed network and hope to be successful in communicating when I return on Wednesday. During my first few weeks here in 'Bongo', slang for Tanzania, I met some amazing people while preparing for my journey to Mnang'ole. Most importantly I met some friends of whom I had only met on facebook.  What a joy to meet them in person and spend time with them. I was welcomed with open arms and great concern for my well being... In turn I met friends of friends .. I have a network of brothers and sisters here with whom I have built bonds that I'm sure will last a lifetime. I am so grateful to them all! For anyone back in the states who has the least concern for my safety… Fear not! Trust me these friends won't let anything bad happen to me!

I also met two amazingly strong and beautiful women. First is Khadija Mwanamboka.. An award winning fashion designer/guru… Who so graciously invited me to her fashion show at the Double Tree in Dar es Salaam ... The show featured a variety of designers... In particular a Masai designer who incorporated traditional Masai style into his contemporary designs. Photos will come later! I met with Khadija a week later to learn about her NGO serving orphans in Dar and about her plans for supporting young women and teens by providing vocational
training for them. We chatted about ways that we can support each other in the future. She too continues to check on me to be sure I'm ok in the bush!!

The next woman I was honored to meet was Anne Kilango. She is a prominent member of parliament... Well known not only here in Tanzania but in the US as well for her strength and courage to speak out against corruption.. (google her name to learn more.. It's quite fascinating.) What struck me just as much, was her story.. She came from nothing in the bush of Tanzania .. Had 3 children .. Eventually became a single mother. Her strength and determination and willingness to work hard led her to the opening of a bridal shop where eventually she was traveling abroad to purchase goods for her shop. She became an advocate for local women and eventually she was invited to sit on the parliament ... Appointed by the president ... Her most recent term she was voted in by the people... With 65% of the vote. She is feared by some because of her strength and transparency and willingness to expose the truth! In 2009 the United States government presented Anne Kilango with an award for exactly this! I was honored to spend the day with her and her husband… My dear friend William's baba!
This concludes this post but there is so much more to say... Tonight or tomorrow I'll be back with more updates. Keep in mind that I am writing this with one finger on my iPhone. My finger is tired! Peace to you all ...please leave me a note to let me know you have been here! Asante sana!

4 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you dada. You are a true sister to me and I cannot say enough of how much I respect and honor your courage and strength. You are doing it!! Living your dream and I m right behind you as I plan my return to Bongo as well with intentions so strong and a heart wide open. I will meet you out there in the bush again and fight this fight with you. United we are stronger!!!
    But first I will come to see you in Vermont for your walk in October na mume wangu!! HAHA

    Nakupenda Sana Dada!! Forever!

    (Love you so much my sister!!)

    Nicolle

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow!
    I appreciate what said dada!!
    thank you for recognize us as friends,brother & sisters in Bongo...
    See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post, nice efforts, really sure your fingers are tired, pole.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pole sana, nice job Sister, I real appreciate you so kind.. Stay Blessed Dada!!!
    Victor mugyabuso

    ReplyDelete