Wait... First go to your sink and pour a glass of fresh clean water to drink... then come back and watch this short video.
Wait... First go to your sink and pour a glass of fresh clean water to drink... then come back and watch this short video.

African Empowerment Project is committed to implementing and nurturing community run development projects focused on creating opportunities for income generation, achieving access to quality education, and improving health and wellbeing, in order to empower the people of Africa to build a sustainable life for themselves and future generations.

How YOU can help!


Please visit our website at www.africanempowermentproject.org to learn more about who we are and how we are empowering the people in the village of Mnang'ole, Tanzania to pull themselves out of poverty.

You can make clean, accessible water and safe, healthy lighting a reality for the people of Mnang'ole by clicking below:
Your donation is tax deductable.
IRS EIN # 27-1519070

Friday, April 16, 2010

Home and moving forward...

Though it is so good to be home with family and friends, initially I felt out of place... like a fish out of water. It has taken a while to adjust to this way of life... all that we are so privileged to have here... knowing what I left behind in Tanzania. However, my very wise son shared this wisdom with me last year when I returned from Africa with these same feelings, "Mom, this is the life we have created for ourselves and the culture we live in.... just appreciate everything we have... and then go back and make a difference..." Those words are ringing clear to me now as I readjust to the wonderful life we do have here in America.


I am also feeling pumped!!! When I was preparing to leave here in December, people would ask me what projects I had planned for AEP and what I planned to do over in Tanzania. My answer was only that I was going there to do research and development and hopefully come home with an answer to the question... what exactly is African Empowerment Project? My mission statement is clear and yet is such a broad statement that could not answer the question, what do you really hope to accomplish over there in the future?

Well.....I am pleased to say that I now have a solid idea of what AEP really is!

I am working on a statement that will articulate the goals and plans for AEP. I will soon share those thoughts with you all!

So, I have been home for 2 weeks now and I'm packing in family, friends and getting organized. Now that I have a clearer direction of where AEP is heading, my next steps are many :

* Writing a business plan
* Meet with AEP Board to sort out what projects we should pursue first
* Creating a 5 year strategic plan with AEP Board
* Finishing the 501(c)(3) application (I have a EIN number now but need IRS Exemption status)
* Continue researching wind turbines and solar energy to power the pump for the well
* Develop plans, and promotional materials for the first AEP water well campaign
* Continue to network and make connections with prospective donors, trust fund organizations, rotary clubs, etc.
* Continue to work on my Swahili!!!
* ...and much more....

If you have any advice, resources or would like to take part in any of these next steps, please...feel free!!!!!
Till next time.... happy to be home and ready to move AEP forward ... to accomplish great things in Tanzania!

1 comment:

  1. A friend of mine started her own non-profit in Africa during Peace Corps service. I commend you on your work and this massive projects you are undertaking. I can't be of much help not having worked extensively with an NGO or setting one up, but this website: www.foundationcenter.org is a godsend for non-profits. It has amazing resources for and about any and every non-profit. Check it out. To access the full site requires a paid subscription however many sites, such as libraries, pay for this service and you can access it for free. I know a library in my city offers full access so check and see if there's a spot in your area that offers this. If not, they have 5 actual libraries around the country and one is in NY. Would be well worth a trip. They also have free and paid seminars on everything from grant writing basics, money management, creating a board of directors, etc. They also stream some of these over the internet for free so you wouldn't have to travel to attend. I had hoped to be placed in Africa for my PC service since that's where I have an educational background but alas I'm going to Central Asia. But after PC, I'm going to grad school at SIT (in VT!) and will have to do a work phase. Perhaps I could do my service with your organization. Best of luck to you with everything!!

    ReplyDelete